Saturday, January 5, 2013

Vegetable Biriyani


A very Happy new year to all…
Something was keeping me away from my blog, you can put all the blame on the busy schedule… but reality is I was feeling too lazy to post . I’ve some in my drafts, but .. not complete.
Most of my newyear wishes includes wishes for my blog also. Wishing to see more on the blog this year…  that is something really nice and I am extremely happy to hear that… so this year I’ll try my best to  be more active on the blog. :) I don’t want to categorize this as my new-year resolution, coz my resolutions don’t last more than a month.  And I stop making resolutions long back… :) Thank you all my supporters for the encouragement.
Recently my kids complimented my vegetable biriyani.  So thought of sharing that as my first post this year…. Like my previous post, this is also not the typical biriyani… this is my version. Trying out some recipe here and there and then settling on my version of mix and match.








Ingredients

Rice- 2 cups
Garlic- 10 cloves
Ginger – 1 big sq piece
Green chillie -3
Onion-3 
Ghee- ¼ cup
Beans -10 nos
Carrot-3
Cauliflower
2 cloves
1 inch stick of cinnamon
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 whole cardamoms
Mace spice
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
½ cup freshly chopped mint leaves
1 cup coriander leaves
Salt to taste

Method

Cook the rice with 3 cups of water. The water added is less than is required, we don't want the rice to get fully cooked, as it will get cooked again.
Heat oil in a big sauce pan; add onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies and sauté on low/medium heat until it releases a nice aroma. Ground the mixture and keep the paste aside.
Dry roast  cloves, cardamom, fennel seeds, cumin seeds. grind all the roasted spices and keep aside.
Heat 3 table spoon of ghee in a pot, add the vegetable and sauté it for a while. Add the onion paste  salt to taste and slim the flame. Add a portion of the mint leaves ,coriander leaves, and the grounded masala.  With this masala being at the bottom of the pan , add half portion of  cooked rice add the remaining masala powder on top of the rice, add the remaining coriander and mint leaves, don't mix it as yet. Pour 1 table spoon of ghee on top. Now cover the pan with a lid and let it sit for 15 more minutes on low heat. Turn off heat and let the biriyani sit for another 15-20 minutes, covered.
 Heat the ghee or vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the raisins and cashews and cook, stirring, until the raisins are plump and the cashews are toasted. garnish your biriyani and serve hot.






No comments:

Post a Comment